Benefits for new employees, except those represented by a union, will begin on the first day of the month following or coinciding with their date of full time hire. Union employees, contact your union representative for specific details about your benefits start date. Details on all plans can be found by clicking the links to the left or by viewing the benefits booklet below.
|2017-2018 Benefits Booklet|
The Benefits Office staff is happy to schedule an individual meeting to discuss the benefit options available and help you enroll online. Please contact us for an appointment.
New employees will receive notification via email when their enrollment information has been added to our online enrollment system. We require the completion of all new hire paperwork, Personal Data Form, and proper documentation before this information can be added. You can review the Online Enrollment process here. You have 30 days from your benefits effective date to select benefits via the online enrollment.
Failure to complete the enrollment within the 30 day period will result in automatic enrollment with single coverage in our High Deductible Health Plan. Once you complete these selections, your choices will remain until the next Open Enrollment period. You may not make any changes to your selections outside of the Open Enrollment period unless you have a Qualified Life Event.
It is important to review your paycheck information to ensure proper benefits premium deductions are occurring. Contact the Benefits Office at 412.396.5106 if your benefit premium deductions are not correct.
Keeping Benefits Affordable
At Duquesne University, we are committed to offering our employees a comprehensive and affordable medical benefits plan, despite rising health
care costs. The University, with the guidance of a benefits consultant and the Benefits Committee comprised of faculty, administrative, staff and union representatives, has worked diligently to formulate a plan to help mitigate the effects of rising costs on the University's self-funded health plans.
Follow these simple tips to get the most out of your benefit coverage and help save money on health care costs:
- Participate in the Wellness in Motion programs, including the Know Your Numbers campaign
- In-network preventive care is 100% covered-review the medical plans preventive benefits schedule and receive immunizations and preventive services as outlined
- Use the providers' online tools to learn more about estimating costs, health coaches, healthy activities and lifestyle management programs
- Choose generic drugs
- Visit an urgent care facility instead of the Emergency Room if you are not experiencing a true medical emergency
- Download vendor apps to your smartphone for access to important plan information, participating providers, recipes and wellness information